Montessori Essentials with Printable
I write a lot about Montessori and Montessori-inspired activities. They are fun and exciting and look really good on a blog. So, do Montessori spaces. They are simply beautiful.
I write less about Montessori the lifestyle. And, that can be confusing, because one does not exist without the other. Montessori is not a series of activities that keep your child busy. It is a change, an internal shift, in YOU! It's a shift in how you think about children and how you relate to them.
It's knowing that every child is different, yet full of amazing potential. And, its knowing that the child has the ability to unleash this potential all on their own without your intervention in the right environment. So, when you are considering Montessori, don't just consider "the stuff" or "the space." Keep these guiding principals in mind --
- Follow the child, in all things.
- Respect the child as a whole person. Treat the child as you would be treated.
- The process is important, not the product.
- Slow down and move at the child’s pace.
- Offer meaningful choices to the child.
- Observe, then react.
- Be the change you want to see.
- Trust the child’s ability to learn and develop at their own pace.
- Give responsibility and independence to perform everyday tasks within limits.
- Protect and nourish concentration.
To keep this in mind, I've created a printable! Print it out and hang it up, keep these ideas at the forefront of your mind on this journey!
Above all, remember, Montessori is more than just activities! It is a way of life.