Montessori Baby Essentials -- Birth to 9 Months
When I first discovered Montessori, Henry was almost a year old. He was around 15-18 months before I really started to implement Montessori principals into our home. The change I saw in him was impressive and we have never looked back. However, I will always regret not having used Montessori with Henry from birth.
This post contains affiliate links at no charge to you
When we found out we were pregnant with Nora, I was so thrilled to be able to do things differently. And, I really feel like her babyhood has been amazing because of it. But, I understand how overwhelming Montessori from birth can seem. So, I wanted to share some of the essentials if you were considering Montessori from birth.
- Montessori Mobiles -- these you can make or you can buy -- we have a variety of visual and tactile mobiles that Nora has loved.
- Full Length Mirror -- ours is Minde Mirror from Ikea -- this should be hung low on the wall so even the youngest baby can use it.
- Woven Baskets -- ours are thrifted -- these baskets are lightweight and perfect for babies to pull from shelves
I wanted to mention that using Montessori from birth is not just about what you use, but also how you're parenting. It's about respecting the child as a individual from birth, about giving the child as much independence as possible within a safe prepared environment and providing an environment that doesn't just provide passive entertainment but enriching experiences.
- Weaning Glasses -- ours are POKAL from Ikea -- these tiny glasses are perfect for weaning and promoting independence
- Wooden Toys -- we have a variety for different age groups -- Haba Triangles, Ring Stacker, wooden rattle
- Floor Mat -- we use a portable crib mattress -- either as a floor bed or an activity area, these mats get a lot of use
All of these things have helped us parent, but I'm sure there are other alternatives. There are also other products that I have loved and would gladly use again. But these are really the most essential for the first few months. I'm also noticing that as Nora gets older, and more mobile this list is rapidly changing.
- Weaning Chair -- we use one we already had -- perfect for introducing food or for a dressing area
- Radio Flyer Walker Wagon -- this is so stable and perfect for early movement, I've never been worried that it will flip
- Low Shelving -- we have Besta Shelving from Ikea -- perfect height for babies and just enough space that its not overwhelming
What products have you found work best for your family? Are there others you would include?